Go to main content

Image

Audio

Description

In this third of a series of interviews conducted by Dr. Ed Perzel (former Chair of the Department of History and Associate Dean for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at UNC Charlotte), Bonnie Cone recalls the early history of the university, formerly the Charlotte Center of the University of North Carolina (1946-1949) and Charlotte College (1949-1965). In particular, Ms. Cone reflects on the individuals on the Charlotte Center's Advisory Board, which first met in 1947 and was composed of prominent members of the community, including members of the press. She also mentions local groups that supported the college, such as the American Association of University Women and the Altrusa Club. Ms. Cone explains the situation regarding the efforts to survive as a permanent college in 1949 and the resulting accreditation process for the two year junior college. Other topics discussed include the first school mascot; the short-lived football team; the demographics of the student body; Ms. Cone's efforts to raise awareness among high school students of the opportunity available to them through the local college; building the library collection at Charlotte College; and early faculty, such as Herbert Hechenbleikner and Pierre Macy.

Details

Files

Formats
Format
BibTeX
MARCXML
TextMARC
MARC
DublinCore
EndNote
NLM
RefWorks
RIS